As a Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator, a Certified Computer Forensics Specialist,
Network and Security Consultant, Software Developer, and Data Recovery Expert, my passion for
technology is undeniable. I also enjoy helping people, especially when it comes to my passion.
This white paper is centered on 10 important points to keep your computer network up and running
1) Make sure that all important data is backed up to a Tape Drive, External Hard Drive, USB
Drive or any other form of storage which can be taken off site.
2) Make sure that someone in your office is responsible for frequent back-ups of your data off site.
3) Constantly communicate with your collective staff about the importance of back-up storage,
which includes but is not limited to data files, addresses and emails. If you are using Outlook or
any other email client, ensure its content is also backed up.
4) After you have verified your back-up storage, consider testing the solution and
methodology. I recommend performing a Backup and Disaster Recovery Test every 6 months.
5) Any Computer Systems (Servers, Workstations) which are critical to your business
operations should have a surge protection and a battery backup.
6) It is very critical that every Computer System has Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware Protection
in place. I would recommend Norton Anti-Virus if you don't have any in place. For Anti-
Spyware there are several available tools which can assist in fulfilling these requirements, such as:
Microsoft Windows Defender Beta:
7) Regular maintenance of Computer Systems, which includes physically cleaning out
Desktops and Workstations. Due to electrostatic energy the Computer Systems accumulate
allot of dust which clogs up the cooling fans. A computer that runs hot, does not run long.
Routine checks on hardware is highly recommended.
8) Updates, Updates, Updates. All major programs including Microsoft Office, Windows XP,
Anti-virus Protection, Anti-Spyware programs have to be frequently updated. Perfect
software does not exist; therefore software development firms are always releasing updates
and patches to resolve bugs and security issues in their products.
9) Select only a few vendors for services and products. It is easier to manage and oversee your
inventory when purchasing Computers, Laptops and Printers from the same vendor.
10) Limit the access of your users to the information necessary to complete their tasks. Shared
files or folders with confidential information, such as databases or financial spreadsheets,
should be limited to only those that actively process this type of information.
Use these tips to improve your computer technology management. Besides, technology was
designed to keep you ahead and not behind.